Monday, July 4, 2011

Sri Lanka Day 2

Curls complements of the humidity!
We made it! After an 11.5 hour flight, then a 7 hour flight, then a 9 hour drive, we made it to Arugam Bay safely! The first night was spent near the airport as we arrived too tired to make the 9 hour drive to the beach.  It is very hot and humid here as evidenced by my hair.  It's going to be an amazing trip!

 The surf has been small and very crowded which can be frustrating.  I was told by one guy that I am being "too polite" by not dropping in. Imagine! People drop in on each other constantly and it has been driving me nuts but, I found a little inside wave today and had it all to myself for a bit. Worth the wait. Hopefully when the swell picks up in a few days things will get better for me as far as getting more quality waves.  I am finding that the more frustrated I get, the less fun surfing is (and that is the opposite of why I surf).


The place itself is beautiful.  Colorful boats line the shore in front of lush vegetation.  The people are friendly and welcoming and the water is warm and beautiful.  I feel so blessed to be here! To think that this is only the beginning of our adventures... We are hoping to spot some elephants and crocodiles at sunset today on a little outing. More to come!

~Peace and Waves~
Rachel

1 comment: